Monsoon Jacket/Topshop Dress
Its been a year since I left university as an English and Creative writing graduate. It has been a year of part time retail work, visual communications, romance, tears and general wondering about where my life is going. I feel it's time to tell the brutal honest truth, for those who have just finished a degree, as I had done last year: It's okay to struggle. After having spent most of a lifetime in education and at the ripe old age of twenty two, I have come to the realisation that I have absolutely no idea what to do with myself. I have a fantastic CV full of voluntary experience, retail experience, bar work, hobbies, goals, aim...blahblah..but what good is that when it seems near impossible of holding down one singular dream? I want to illustrate (Books, Leaflets, Adverts, T-shirts, Fashion features and basically anything and everything that crosses my path). I want to write (Articles in magazines, newspapers, websites). I want to be happy and comfortable, and I would really like to stop paying for everything in five pence pieces. However, what could be more character building than paying for something in small silvers and having a cashier laugh at you? It all makes for good literature, for good illustration. So, I have decided to take charge and stop moping around.
Inspired by Sarah Kay, one of my favourite spoken word poets, I will write a list of ten things that I know to be true right now.
1. People are not always what they seem
2. Reading is good for the soul
3. Money doesn't make people happy. Money makes people ungrateful.
4. Happiness is the ultimate goal
5. The seaside actually calms you down
6. True Friends and/or Family are important to mental heath
7. Keeping everything inside will only make you bitter
8. The rain isn't always cold
9. Ice-cream doesn't solve anything, but it certainly helps
10. To draw is to see